Thursday, January 23, 2014

75% through the deadline, 75-ish % done

One week to go and I'm roughly on schedule. I spent the night putting some cheap art in(cheap as in price, no offense to the artist)

None of it is exactly what I want but it always amazes me how big a difference even decent placeholder art makes.

From a code standpoint I corrected the healthbars that follow the actors around. Now they're green if the actor is on your team and red otherwise. A very simple feedback mechanism but it was a soup without it. You couldn't quite tell what to click on.

I also got the player death and respawn part in.

Must DO

Next up is the Bot respawn and then a lot of GUI work.

I need a health and mana bar on the HUD for the player.
I need an opening screen.
I need a victory or defeat screen.
I need sound effects and music.

I can call it a game after that.

Nice to Haves

The nice to haves list is crazy but there are a few I may be able to get.

The major one is a couple of skills to cast so the mana bar is for more than show.

I'd love some type of experience concept so I can start the player out weaker and then give him more punch and health as he levels.

I'd like to give the player and bots some effects that follow them around, they're hard to pick out from the creeps right now.

I'd like to incorporate an attack attack on the player so you don't have to pick out individual creeps each time. This is a creature comfort on DOTA2 and I miss it when playing my game.

I plan on buying an effect library and juicing up the special effects because they're really rough.

Lots more to be honest.

I've been really tempted to spend a second month on this game and the format for the 1 game a month challenge allows it but this will only be my second game I've finished in Unity...

In order to give myself permission to do that I feel like I need to do a different game in February, and then if I still feel like coming back to this one in March I can do it with a clear conscious and a good sense of purpose.

Having to trick and negotiate with yourself to be prolific is a beating but is a beating worth taking for the end result.

No comments:

Post a Comment