Thursday, December 19, 2013

Rabbit 1.2

To trudge... the slow and determined march of a man bearing a heavy load...

Ok, enough melodrama. I'm posting this on the 19th but this video was recorded on the 17th and reflects that progress. The simple flashing of the "wolves" required me to refresh my memory on how coroutines work in Unity. After a few stumbles I finally figured it out and also added a sound for when you eat the "carrot" power up.

With 11 days remaining on my first entry for the 1 Game a Month blog, I've hit on what I believe to be the final scope of this project.

I initially hoped to have several maps, and to progress through the maps as you cleared levels. Maybe 5 or 10 plays per map and then I'd alter the maze, move the power ups around, perhaps introduce additional wolf types.

Here's my final punch list. If I have time beyond this I'll spend it on small features I can add in a single coding session or polish.

Will do:


1) One more score dynamic - A progressively higher score for each wolf you eat per power up.(1 wolf gives say 500 points, second 1000, third 2000, etc... resets when you lose your power up status)


2) One more presentation update - A pause when you are killed, then a "you got killed sound" then a reset, then a go! Death is abruptly handled currently with no time to gather yourself before the game continues.


3) Play-balance the game - It is currently too easy. My primary plan is to adjust the scoring system to reduce the number of extra lives you get per map. 


4) Polish - The sounds get the point across but a few hours working on the sounds and adding a few particle effects will go a long way as far as the feedback the system gives you. Without pretty visuals I need to insure that the feedback is tight and obvious. 



More importantly than what I will be able to implement is what I won't be able to implement. That's the sort of  lesson the 1 Game a Month  challenge teaches, you must ruthlessly attack the scope of your game.

Won't do:


1) Multiple mazes/levels - I have a great idea for a dark level where a spotlight follows the rabbit around the level and you can't see what you've "eaten" and what you haven't. Not going to happen for this entry. Maybe some other entry I'll pick it back up and go for it.


2) Proper artwork - I could buy appropriate models and pick up the game visuals by using a proper shader. Maybe, maybe I can hit this mark but I'm putting this weight down as far as a "must have". It's definitely in the "nice to have" list.


3) Intermissions - I wanted a black background cut scene similar to the intermissions in pacman between map changes. No map changes though, so no cut scenes for sure. This would have to wait for a round 2 attack on this project. I simply won't have time to implement this.


4) Android release - I've yet to tackle an Android release but even if its easy as pie I know I'll have to re-write the control scheme for a virtual D pad. As fun as this would be it won't make the cut for December.



Still on target to make my first challenge. I deployed a web player and linked it to a few friends just for the fun of it. I intended to provide links to incremental builds so you could follow along as the game progresses but I got caught up in making the deadline and slacked a bit on blogging my progress.


In all its splendor! OK, in all its programmer art, still missing a few key features, splendor!

and here's a short video of a play through.

No comments:

Post a Comment